Mishkan ha-Echad

Sunday 17 August 2008

Poetry: Doubters Of Divinity

You doubters of divinity -
You see devils in the hearts of all God's people,
Who must, by your great will, come out in straw
With pitchforks ready
To clash, steel on wood, against the sceptres of sure Science,
Held aloft upon the horses of your reign.
If only it were simple,
Adam cast across the rift from Atoms,
An uncrossable Abyss,
A mental chasm where only malice lies.
But where is subtlety in these uncertain times,
Where we, in our doubt, assume we know it all?
There is only red and blue and yellow,
Stark around their corners
Where no meld of hue is seen,
Nor permitted, nor encouraged,
As was once the case
When the brilliant light of art
Merged with the evanescence of the angels
And the candescence of great culture
Saw no contradiction between the art of science,
And the science of art.
There was none of this vile blindedness,
Where the books of chemistry and physics
Cannot rest upon the shelf amidst the classics,
Those epitomes of literature
And the episodes of Man.
Our books are bound more tightly,
And thicker are their covers,
For fear we might somehow contaminate each other
With these opposing truths, these opposing lies.
The incivility of cynicism,
That vast tidal wave of suspicion,
Washes over many, a ravage rampant tempest
Against those "savages" who believe in something more.
And in the shadows of our minds creeps a growing creed:
Turn the other eye instead of cheek,
Afraid to face the possibility
That there are answers in the artistry
That only the humble heart can read.

Inspired by Richard Dawkins

7 comments:

Peregrin said...

Hi Dean,

thanks for sharing this wonderful poem. Very apt indeed and a great counter to "Single Vision and Newton’s Sleep" (Blake).

:) peregrin

Unknown said...

Go You! I love your poetry, sincerely. And really appreciate your intelligent posts, a good deal of which eludes me, but it's so good I read it anyway. I had a teacher who encouraged students to go deeply into doubt, for there they would find doubtlessness. Don't EVER stop writing.

Frater Yechidah said...

Ave Peregrin,

Thank you for the kind comments :)

I love Blake's work. Since you mentioned his "Single Vision", I might as well share the relevant lines:

"Now I a fourfold vision see,
And a fourfold vision is given to me;
‘Tis fourfold in my supreme delight
And threefold in soft Beulah’s night
And twofold Always. May God us keep
From Single vision & Newton’s Sleep!"

LVX,
Dean.

Frater Yechidah said...

Ave Hijinks,

Thank you for the kind comments on my poetry and essays. Yes, I think a certain element of scepticism is essential and advised, but cynicism is never warranted, in my eyes. Cynicism is, in essence, the unwillingless to accept the possibility that it might be true, while doubt is a genuine uncertainty.

And, I will never stop writing, lol. I've been writing since I was 11 (that is, material that wasn't for school, etc.), and it is one of the few things that gives me real fulfillment :)

Thanks again for the comment.

LVX,
Dean.

Unknown said...

FYI, my definition of a cynic is an intellectual without vision...

Frater Yechidah said...

I like your definition, Hijinks :)

LVX,
Dean.

Anonymous said...

I think that says it All.

Support the Blog

If you enjoyed this content and would like to see more of it, or would like to buy me a cup of tea as a thank you, make a donation through Kerubim Press by clicking the button below.

Thank you! Your support and patronage is much appreciated!